Artist/Designer: 
Maurice Marinot, French, 1882-1960
Title: Green and Black Flagon
Medium: Glass
Dimensions:
18.3 x 11.3 x 6.3 cm
Credit Line: Presented, Mme F. Marinot, 1970
Object Number: NGI.12009
DescriptionThe Gallery holds an important collection of glass by Maurice Marinot. The 20 pieces, which include vases, goblets and stoppered bottles, date to 1926-27. Marinot trained as a painter under Fernand Cormon at the Ecole-des-Beaux in 1901. He associated with the Fauves and exhibited at the Salon d’Automne in 1905. Following a visit to the glassworks run by his friends Eugène and Gabriel Viard at Bar-sur-Seine in 1911, Marinot became fascinated with glass as an artistic medium. He turned away from painting and became one of the most experimental and innovative glassmakers of his generation. Marinot did not use moulds or allow his designs to be mass-produced; many of his works took months to complete. He considered decoration as integral to the manufacturing process and excelled at adding bubbles and cracks in order to apply intricate layers of colour and texture. As well as working in coloured glass, he created sculptural pieces acid-etched with stylised geometric lines. After 26 years dedicated to making art in glass, Marinot returned to painting in 1937.

March 2016