© Erich Hartmann Estate / Magnum Photos / courtesy CLAIRbyKahn
Title: Dublin, 1964 (Nelson's Pillar)
Date: 1964
Medium: Gelatin Silver Print
Dimensions:
24.5 x 15.8 cm
Signed: (on verso), lower right: Ruth Hartmann (the artist's wife) (on verso), upper left: 1964
Credit Line: Purchased, 2018
Object Number: NGI.2018.109
DescriptionTaken during Erich Hartmann’s visit to Dublin during the 1960s, Dublin 1964 (Nelson’s Pillar) offers a view of O’Connell Street from the viewing platform of Nelson’s Pillar, an Irish monument that no longer exists. Nelson's Pillar was a large granite column capped by a statue of Horatio Nelson, built in the centre of what was then Sackville Street (now O'Connell Street) in Dublin. Completed in 1809 when Ireland was a dominion of the United Kingdom, it survived until March 1966, when it was severely damaged by explosives. Like other locals and tourists, Hartmann would have climbed in the hollow interior of the column to reach the viewing platform situated directly beneath the statue. Through the barrier surrounding the viewing platform the viewer gets a snapshot of people strolling around O’Connell street with a series of parked cars lining the centre of the street. The photographer is facing O’Connell Street Lower which will eventually break off into D’Olier Street on the left and Westmorland Street on the right after crossing O’Connell Bridge. The tall building in the background on the corner of D’Olier Street is O’Connell Bridge House which today has the Heineken logo displayed on its façade.
ProvenanceErich and Ruth Hartmann, 1964-2007; Clair by Kahn Gallery, 2007; purchased, Clair by Kahn Gallery, Zurich, 2018
Inscriptionon verso: Copyright Erich Hartmann
Magnum Photo stamp